A Public Service Announcement on Bullying

Recently, Samuel and I had a very challenging experience with a couple of bullies. We’ve had other run-ins with bullies (Read more here. ) After the previous bully encounter, I resolved to face the issue head-on:  with the parents. I did just that, this past week. However, I’m left with the regret that I could’ve done more. Instead of allowing my Mama Bear to take control, I’d rather be calm and teach the parents the better way to handle their bullying children. Possibly have them meet Samuel properly and teach them the better way to interact with him. 

I’m praying about a systematic response (a prepared speech of sorts) to make the encounter easier to handle emotionally. Kind of like the one I give to people when they ask, “What’s wrong with him?”  *insert eye roll here* Not because people are curious, I don’t mind that, but because people have no grace anymore, no nice way to seek information.  

I’m instructing my “typical” children on how to stand up to bullies for themselves and their friends, knowing that one day in the not-so-distant-future, they’ll be the ones to protect their big brother, Samuel.  I still have a lot to learn; but in the mean time, I’m doing my best to educate parents and children alike. 

The video below is a true story about what happened to us followed by a hopeful solution to the bullying epidemic. Please feel free to share. 




2 comments:

  1. I just tuned into your blog! I loved this story. I smiled when you son laughed. As a parent I agree with 100% and I know my girls would never treat someone like that as we discuss differently abled people in our lives. Proud of your post and my own personal proud mommy moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad to hear it. Thank you for the feedback. Keep raising those girls right 😍

      Delete