Play nice

Daddy and I took the kids to a splash pad today. They had a blast! We couldn't find Samuel's (RTS, 6-years-old) water shoes, so he went barefoot; which, I won't do again, his little toes were bleeding by the time we left 😢 While we were there Samuel greeted all of the children with a sweet smile, high five and a laugh, as per the norm. I watched the children's reactions to his friendliness. Some were open to it and smiled back at him and laughed while others looked at him like he was crazy. (Actually, this world is crazy for friendliness not being the norm anymore. But that's another post.)

Kids love being chased by Samuel. It never fails, any playground we go to, it ends up being a game where the kids are running from Samuel. I haven't decided if I'm okay with this or not. Samuel enjoys it, so that makes me think its okay. But the kids run, scream, laugh and I don't know if it is because of his "hum": it kind of sounds like a growl when he gets really excited. I don't know if they are making fun of him when they run or if it is an honest game of chase. Verdict is still out on this one.


But today. Today was definitely different. The chase game started with a few girls around 8-years-old. I observed closely, Mamma Hen, waiting to turn into Mamma Bear. Then it happened, "Did you see his toes??!!" one said to another. "Watch how he walks", as they proceed to imitate his wide gait, in his face, taunting him, trying to get his attention to begin the chase again.


My heart sank and ached for him. He had no idea. He was content to keep chasing them. But Mamma Bear was fuming. I chose not to say a word. One of the girls noticed that I heard them and they stopped. I wanted to say something to their parents, but what? I wanted to say something to them, explain his diagnosis. But what good would that do? What would be learned?




Then my attention turned to Gabriel and Ellie. How will they react when they realize that their big brother is the object of ridicule? When they're old enough to understand what is being said about their big brother, what will they say? How will they feel?

I guess we'll cross that bridge, prayerfully, when we get there. We are close. Gabriel is extremely observant. Until then, I will educate and instruct my own children on the ways to play with others different from us. That's a lesson we all need to review from time to time; adults and children alike.


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a precious boy! So glad he had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a precious boy! So glad he had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you what you should do, but I can share with you what I have done.

    Several times while at a play ground with Samuel, kids would act like that. I have taken that time to make them and their parents aware of RTS. I would explain as simply as I could, about RTS. Every time, they would start asking more questions and began playing with him more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shan I liked the way that your Mom handled it. You might think more on this..People does not know about this...They need to understand so that they can teach their kids...Samuel is so smart & he loves everyone...You are a good parent..Just remember that Jesus know what He is doing,,,I know you that! Just encouraging you to keep up the good work...Love you all AND MISS all of you...

    ReplyDelete